The age of the supermodel is definitely not over. The world’s top models have proved their earning power this year despite fashion designers downgrading their runway shows because of the recession. For the second year in a row, Gisele Bündchen, the Brazilian model tops Forbes magazine'd richest models list, based on estimated earnings from June 2008 – June 2009.
1. Gisele Bündchen, pictured above, £15 million: Despite earning US$10 million less this year, due to the loss of Victoria’s Secret and other contracts, this Brazilian beauty has topped the list for the second year in a row. With her own shoe line and success from campaigns such as Versace, Dior, and True Religion jeans, the 28 year old earned about £15 million last year. She also found time to hold two wedding receptions with her husband, American football player Tom Brady.
2. Heidi Klum, £9.7 million : At 35, this mum of three (soon to be four, with husband Seal) and Victoria’s Secret Angel has made her fortune through TV and endorsements. When she wasn’t busy hosting her hit TV series Project Runway and Germany’s Next Top Model, she designed a range of sandals for Birkenstock. Klum endorses brands that range from Diet Coke and Volkswagen, to McDonalds and LG.
3. Kate Moss, £5 million
This year Moss shot down rumours of a pregnancy by saying she's "just fat" and was also attacked for being old (yes, she is 35), but the supermodel isn't going anywhere. She achieved great successes in the past year as the face of Longchamp, Versace, and David Yurman, and her range for Topshop, which also debuted in New York, has made her the third highest earning model
4. Adriana Lima, £4.8 million
Another angel, famous for her sultry poses, Lima's career has taken off with the support of the lingerie brand. Although her contract with Maybelline ends later this year, the one-time Ford “Supermodel of the year” is busy away from the catwalk too. She appeared on Ugly Betty last September, and is now expecting her first child with her husband, basketball player Marko Jaric.
5. Doutzen Kroes, £3.6 million
This Dutch model, the latest to join the entourage of Angels, recently signed up with Seven For All Mankind jeans after her contract with DeBeers expired. At just 24, Kroes is also the face of cosmetic company L’Oreal, and the fragrance Calvin Klein Eternity
6. Alessandra Ambrosio, £3.6 million
Last autumn, the 28 year old returned to the Victoria’s Secret runway just three months after giving birth. Having starting modelling for their PINK line, she is now one of the brand’s biggest names. Ambrosio is also a model for the European retail outlet C&A and the Mexican department store Liverpool
7. Natalia Vodianova, £3.3 million
This Russian-born beauty has not forgotten her roots, using some of her fortune to run Naked Heart Foundation, which helps provide playgrounds for children in Russia. Vodianova, 27, is most recognisable for her work with Calvin Klein fragrance Guerlain, but over the next three years, she will be designing and modelling various collections for French lingerie company Etam.
8. Daria Werbowy, £2.7 million
After winning a modelling competition, this Polish-born Canadian has shot to fame as the face of Lancome and Louis Vuitton. Werbowy’s other campaigns include H&M, Balmain, Roberto Cavalli, and Vogue Eyewear. At just 25, she was inducted into Canada’s Walk of Fame, alongside film director James Cameron
9. Miranda Kerr, £1.8 million
Equally famous for being Orlando Bloom’s leading lady as for her sultry Victoria’s Secret campaigns, this fresh-faced Aussie made her mark signing on to be the new face of Maybelline and XOXO. Following the devastating Australian bush fires earlier this year, Kerr lent a hand to the Australia Unites fundraiser.
10. Carolyn Murphy, £1.8 million
The long-time face of Estee Lauder has proved her staying power in the industry, at 35. She is also the only American on the list. Having posed for Playboy and Sports Illustrated swimsuit in the past, her most recent campaigns include Banana Republic and Lord & Taylor