It`s easy to not think about what we throw into our trash cans, but it`s time that we start. On top of some terrible smells, the dangers lurking in our waste can have a terrible impact on our planet, wildlife and the sanitation workers valiantly doing the dirty work for us. One man`s trash may be another man`s treasure, but that`s simply not the case with any these household items.
1.) Even once they`re used up, they are still full of yucky chemicals.
2.) Fluorescent and CFL bulbs contain toxic chemicals, but incandescent and halogen are fine to toss.
3.) Even if there is just a little bit of fluid left, they are still dangerous and flammable.
4.) They aren`t just crowding up your kitchen, most recycling programs cannot handle their high volume. Check out Plastic Film Recycling for more options.
5.) Unfortunately, even empty cosmetics cannot be recycled due to the chemicals used in the products, but there are specific recycling programs through retailers like Origins and Aveda.
6.) Like paint and stains, these contain similar toxic chemicals and must be completely dried out in order to be disposed of properly.
7.) The danger level here should be pretty obvious. Before throwing out any dud or unused fireworks, soak them in water over night.
8.) It`s better to use non-toxic supplies in general, but if you do use chemical products and have some leftover either give them to someone else to use or take them to a hazardous waste center.
9.) A huge dang mess for you and the waste processors alike. Best to just save it for later cooking.
10.) Both flammable AND poisonous, these should be taken to hazard waste collection centers or recycling locations once completely dried out.
11.) Both human and animal hair is full of nitrogen which would be better used in compost piles to create cheap fertilizer.
12.) Unless you`re buying strictly organic, these are full of chemicals that inflict a lot of damage.
13.) Broken glass is one of the largest causes of injury for sanitation workers while processing our waste.
14.) The mercury in these old fashioned temperature takers can be a health hazard if broken.